Thursday, November 3, 2011

Present Meets Past

I have lately found that I have a deep love of history.  I love American history, history from other nations and above all I love Biblical history.  I think so many times if we could learn from the past we’d avoid the mistakes we would otherwise make in the future.  I don’t want to get too wild here but I’m going to say right now I’m not for things that tear down all that’s good and right in this country.  Chaos isn’t an answer…violence is not an answer…it never will be.  I will continue to stand for the principles that made this country great and in God I will continue to trust.  I have some pictures now of what I guess you could call a sort of living ghost town.  Virginia City…not the one in Nevada but right here in Montana…speaks of another age but still has some modern relics like this recently enjoyed Root Beer bottle.  Yes, it’s just an old hand rail ball but I like the angle…so there!  This old chain link could actually rust…not like the stuff today.  Iron is wonderful stuff to photograph in my opinion…well anything that rusts…I love it.  I recently had to get a hole fixed in our tire…slow leak really but can you imagine fixing the wagon wheels of the past?  This is a far cry from the bling you see on some hubs of modern vehicles but I like it none the less.  Some of these things are really rusting in peace.  I love the facades on these old stores!  Imagine hopping into this old buggy and heading over to Walmart!  Looking at this picture might make you a peeping Tom!  Care to kick back and relax for a moment?  Here was the Walmart of the day.  I think I could easily make a whole album entitled “Decay” and have everything from rusted items to peeling paint.  I love how the old stores had the original items in them and on the shelves.  Just look at these old items!  Things from a different age.  Signs before the digital age.  I know this is sort of stereotypical Montana but I still like it.  I actually really like the old signs better!  These old shacks are just filled with textures.  Rust and wood…a winning photographic combination if you ask me!  Even a knock knock joke might destroy this old door.  The craftsmanship on this wall really is amazing.  This one store had a lot of totems and such…this one was pretty cool in my opinion.  It was starting to look a bit like a building from “Deliverance” or “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”so we decided to move on.  I noticed that the train moved through this part of town too.  There was a little waiting area with this lamp post that I thought was nice.  We headed back to the cabin as the weather started to become rainy.  It had been a very good day but we were ready to return to our cabin.  Besides there was a wonderful rainbow shaping upand it was so visible from the porchin fact was in stereo.  There’s always hope in a rainbow and there’s not a time when I see them when I don’t remember the good things God has done and will continue to do!